Installing the firmware on the MKS Base
- Download the Arduino IDE software and install it.
- Download Marlin firmware for I3 RS
- Unzip it and open it by clicking Marlin-I3RS> Marlin> Marlin.ino
- Connect the MKS Base 1.5 to a USB port on your computer, and verify that it is detected, otherwise download the driver.
- Then, in the Arduino software, go to Tools> board type and select “Mega 2560”
- Then Tools> Port, and select the port of your card.
- Upload the firmware by clicking . This may take a little while.
TFT screen firmware installation
The TFT screen has its own firmware, it’s very easy to flash:
- Everything must be off, so turn off the power and unplug the USB from your computer.
- Download the special firmware for the TFT I3 RS display
- unzip it and put it all (mks_pic folder, mks_config, mkstft28 and MksWifi files) to the root of an SD card
- Insert SD card in the TFT
- Turn on
There you have an update message, or you have a blank screen, if so, do not touch anything for two minutes while the update is done and the screen will restart in the colors of the I3 RS 🙂
First movement test
- Install Repetier Host
- Open it and go right to the “slicer” tab, check that “Slic3r Prusa Edition” is selected and click on “configuration”
- The window of “Slic3r Prusa Edition” opened, click on “File” then “Load Config Bundle” and point to the configuration file you unzipped(Slic3r_config_bundle.ini).
- We close the Slic3r window and in Repetier, we go to Setup> Printer Setup, we select the correct COM port and then “Apply”.
- Still in the “Printer Settings” window, go to the “Printer Format” tab and fill in like this, then OK
- We click on the icon “Connect” on the left, it must go green.
We will now move the axes of our 3D printer! For this, tab “Manual control” But above all, manually place each axis in the middle of the race.
- you have 3 sets of buttons, the left one controls X and Y, the middle one Z, and the one on the right the extruder.
- When you click down on the left button set, the tray (Y) must move backward from the value in mm you have clicked and vice versa.
- When you click to the right, the extruder (X) must go to the right of the value in mm that you clicked.
- Same with Z on the middle button set
- And the same for the extruder, but it does not work until the print nozzle reaches 170 °.
- Also test the printing fan by clicking on the fan icon a little lower, similar for the heating head and the heating bed
Note: If one of the motors does not rotate in the correct direction, simply turn its plug 180 ° on the MKS Base.
We will test for the first time our 3 stop sensors, for this click on the home button Home still in the tab “manual control” Repetier. Tip: keep the mouse near the emergency stop under Repetier if a sensor is badly wired ^^
When the Z axis goes down, we must see the BLtouch turn blue and deploy its stem before touching the tray, and when it goes back it goes red when folding its stem, if it is not the case, re-check your wiring of the red / brown / yellow servo wires of the BLTouch.
Everything went well ? It’s finally time to do our first print test and settings