- Download firmware for RS-CNC (Beta V0.95, updated 15/10/2018)
- If you do not already have it, download the IDE Arduino software and install it..
- Connect USB cord to the Mega2560 and see if its is recognized by your operating system, it may need either CH340 drivers or Atmega 16au drivers depending on the board manufacturer.
Installing the Mega2560 / CNC Shield Firmware
- Open IDE Arduino
- Select Tools> Card Type > “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560”
- Then Toolss > Port > and select the COM port of your board
- Then open: Files > Open > Folder where you unzipped the firmware > Firmware_RS-CNC_V0.95 > Repetier-firmware > Repetier > Repetier.ino
- We click on , there it starts to compile and then upload the firmware on the board.
Installing the TFT firmware
- Download firmware for TFT (Beta V0.6, updated 15/10/2018)
- Take a SD card
- Put the contents of the folder “FirmTFT_RS-CNC” (4 files and folders) to the root of the SD card
- Then put the SD card in the TFT SD drive
- Turn on the TFT
- There we see the update to be done alone and the screen restart once finished (it can take a couple of minutes)
First move test
- Download Repetier Host if you do not have it already then install/open it.
- Go to Configuration > Printer settings, and specify the correct COM port
- Switch on the RS-CNC
- Click on the icon “connect” at the top left
- Go to the “Manual Control” tab on the right
- You have 3 sets of buttons, the left one controls X and Y, the middle one Z, and the one on the right the extruder (but we do not need the latter in our case!)
- On the X / Y set, when you click on the top arrow, the spindle must go backwards and vice versa, when you click on the right arrow, the cutter goes to the right and vice versa.
- On the set Z when we click up, the spindle rises and vice versa.
- When we click on Home X, the spindle comes to the stop on the left, when we click on Home Y, the spindle comes to a stop towards us, When we click on Home Z, the spindle comes to a stop at the top.
- If you need to reverse the direction of an axis, open Repetier.ino again under Arduino IDE, “configuration.h” tab, look for these lines
#define INVERT_X_DIR 1
#define INVERT_X2_DIR 0
#define INVERT_Y_DIR 1
#define INVERT_Y2_DIR 0
#define INVERT_Z_DIR 0
- Replace the 1 by 0 or vice versa to reverse the direction of the corresponding motor and press to load the news modifications on your board.
Note: you can not use the TFT and the connected computer controls at the same time, it’s one or the other at a time.
To move the X and Y axes, hold down the C button, to move the spindle backward, push the lever forward and vice versa, to move right, push the lever to the right and vice versa.
To move the Z axis, hold down the Z button, when you push the lever forward, Z goes up, and vice versa.
Now that your RS-CNC is well configured, we will be able to go to the first use 🙂