How make update firmware from 2.0 to new.

kulfon250wr

How make update firmware from 2.0 to new.

Message par kulfon250wr »

Hello,
How to properly upgrade the firmware from version 2.0 to the latest one.
HTheatre

Re: How make update firmware from 2.0 to new.

Message par HTheatre »

Hello kulfon250wr,

If you have a PC with Windows, and that you are using a Grbl v.2.0 boards kit, a 3.2" TFT size and wish the TFT messages be displayed in English, the best method is to use this easy one, considering the firmware you want to update::
  • here, for the ESP-32 which contains Grbl_Esp32 firmware;
  • here for the ESP-32 which contains the TFT firmware.
Please read the install_note.txt file included in the ZIP file for the procedure.

See ya,
kulfon250wr

Hey
I have older version 1.5

B/R
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

Hi kulfon250wr,

Did you flash the firmware which is actually presents in the ESP-32 of the TFT with the classical method (using ARDUINO IDE) without any problems?
If the answer is: yes, completely erase the ESP-32 with Flash Download Tools that you can download here. Please note that if you programmed custom commands' buttons they will be erase too.
Once the ESP-32 erased unplug and replug it from your PC and follow this tutorial using this TFT firmware version 2.1.j.aOTA (04 May 2023) (clic on the link "ici" in "Vous trouverez ici,..." in the first post of this topic), which is the last one. I suggest you to translate the first post of the topic I gave you the link, using a tool like DeepL or Google Tranlate, to know the benefits of the last TFT firmware release. If you are experiencing problems flashing this new TFT firmware version, I can compil it for you if you let me know the language you want (English, I suppose) and if you want I active the A axis display. Like that you will be able to use the easy flash method. Finally, you will be able to configure your WiFi preferences yourself with a wifi.cfg file you will place at the SDcard root.

See ya,
kulfon250wr

Thanks for the information,
and tell me whether it is worth replacing version 1.5 with version 2.0.
Will this improve the quality of the plotter's operation?
now, unfortunately, despite shielding the cables, it still sometimes happens that the control freezes or goes crazy.
B/R
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

Hi kulfon250wr,
kulfon250wr a écrit : 08 oct. 2023 01:51 and tell me whether it is worth replacing version 1.5 with version 2.0.
Will this improve the quality of the plotter's operation?
now, unfortunately, despite shielding the cables, it still sometimes happens that the control freezes or goes crazy.
If your CNC was working without never experiencing issues, I would have reply you: no. But one of the interesting features of the Grbl v.2.0 board that it has a built-in optocoupler at the endstops entries. this optocoupler avoid to get rid of the interferencies risk on the endstops lines.
Moreover, if you only use your CNC with a spindle and not with a spindle and a laser, you will be able to use FluidNC (which replace Grbl_Esp32 which is no longer developped) with the Grbl board v.2.0. For a laser + spindle config it should be possible, but it will need some electronics modifications of the board.

See ya,
kulfon250wr

Approx. The last question :)
Does version 2.0 allow cooperation via a USB cable with OpenBuilds? Or a similar program?
From the beginning I have been struggling with a problem that causes the plotter to suddenly go crazy while cutting and starts cutting incorrectly, only along the X axis in the 0 direction. Sometimes this happens after 3 minutes of cutting and sometimes after 1 hour. I shielded the LCD cable, inserted endstop jumpers, replaced the SD card and still the same. I used the previous plotter with Arduino Uno and OpenBuilds and I never had such a situation. In this plotter, 1 in 20 cuts go without a problem :(
I don't know what else can be changed to eliminate this problem, because now I have to sit while it cuts to stop it when it goes crazy.
This plotter is great, but I can't get along with the controls and I don't know what to do with it
B/R
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

Hi kulfon250wr,

As I wrote you, the optocoupler of the Grbl v.2.0 board will solve the issues you relate.
Grbl v.1.0, v.1.5 and v2.0 support connexion via USB for OpenBuilds or other similar programs: CNCjs, Grbl controller (for Androïd smartphones), Laser Grbl, etc.

See ya,
kulfon250wr

Ok :)
I buy v 2.0
I hope it will help :)
Is the programming manual on the rscnc32 website up to date?
I will use the new ESP32 module
Are there any changes for FluidNC?
Is it worth going into it (I don't use a laser) or sticking with GRBL?
B/R
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

Re kulfon250wr,

As you plan to use the new ESP-32 module (ESP-32E) do not buy one from offical ESPRESSIF brand. By one from China.
I tested an official previous version ESP-32 module version (ESP-32D) from ESPRESSIF with the Grbl board v.2.0 and I never succeed in gotting it to boot automatically without pressing its boot button.

Honestly, because the Grbl board v.2.0 didn't be design for it, in my opinion, there is no benefit to update it with FluidNC. Moreover, rominetb44 is still working on making the TFT firmware completely compatible with FluidNC. Actually, it is not possible to mill a Gcode file stored on the microSD card directly connected to Grbl, from the TFT (more information here, but in French only, sorry).

To flash Grbl_Esp32 to the ESP-32 module, I suggest to use this easier method. I let you read the install_note.txt file in the archive, for the procedure. For the RS-CNC32 you have to install the XYZA Grbl_Esp32 firmware version.

See ya,
Répondre