Understanding DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE settings

Répondre
MRKane

Understanding DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE settings

Message par MRKane »

Hello again! It's been a while.

So I've been continuing to use my CNC as much as I can, and have begun branching out into doing some multi-stage carves which involve finishing passes that have tiny stepovers so I can get a really nice finish on the surface. I've upgraded my unit to have a 2.2kw 24000rpm 3phase spindle, and the aforementioned final finishing step is essentially turning the remaining wood into powder so I began to think about getting the chipload back up and also decreasing the milling time by running the unit faster.

This of course lead me to looking into the settings, and I've got to say that I don't understand the values for:
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {15, 180, 6, 25} // (mm/sec)

Before I start zealously saying "how about I double everything, take the safety off, and let the software set the limit" I'd really like to know what the four numbers relate to and then I'd be happy to tinker with them and do tests to see how things go.

I'm also very aware of the temperature that some of the steppers manage to get to while doing a carve (upwards of 50c) and wondered if the feedrate limits had to do with the limits of the steppers themselves - would be awesome to know more about this too!

Cheers!
peakbag

Re: Understanding DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE settings

Message par peakbag »

MRKane a écrit : 06 mai 2023 12:21 Hello again! It's been a while.

So I've been continuing to use my CNC as much as I can, and have begun branching out into doing some multi-stage carves which involve finishing passes that have tiny stepovers so I can get a really nice finish on the surface. I've upgraded my unit to have a 2.2kw 24000rpm 3phase spindle, and the aforementioned final finishing step is essentially turning the remaining wood into powder so I began to think about getting the chipload back up and also decreasing the milling time by running the unit faster.

This of course lead me to looking into the settings, and I've got to say that I don't understand the values for:
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {15, 180, 6, 25} // (mm/sec)

Before I start zealously saying "how about I double everything, take the safety off basket random and let the software set the limit" I'd really like to know what the four numbers relate to and then I'd be happy to tinker with them and do tests to see how things go.

I'm also very aware of the temperature that some of the steppers manage to get to while doing a carve (upwards of 50c) and wondered if the feedrate limits had to do with the limits of the steppers themselves - would be awesome to know more about this too!

Cheers!
Have any updates? I think each brand has a different temperature limit.
MRKane

Re: Understanding DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE settings

Message par MRKane »

I ended up adding a zero on the end of all of them and just let the gcode dictate rates. I'll often increase the feedrate and take note of how it's cutting just by looking at the cut itself as it's happening. So far I've found that this is one of those "different wood/mill/situation" things where there's not a good scientific number to recommend.

Hope that helps!
Répondre