Function to z-Probe

Répondre
MRKane

Function to z-Probe

Message par MRKane »

Hello all - first post on the forum (and many posts plaguing people on Facebook).

So I'm sure this question has probably been asked somewhere, but my French isn't good. From what I gather the current firmware has functions to do tool z-probing using a little stepper block and a clamp on the tool itself, but it still requires all offsets to be set manually.

Is there a function to allow for a z-probe, similar to 1st Tool Probe, which would correctly set the Z height in the WCS assuming a pre-defined block height that's used as a base on the work material? Especially when using multiple tools or vCarve bits this would make things significantly easier, especially because I have difficulty changing tools and will often unintentionally move the machine in the process.

Cheers!

-Kano
HTheatre

Re: Function to z-Probe

Message par HTheatre »

Hi Kano,
MRKane a écrit : 21 janv. 2023 03:38 Is there a function to allow for a z-probe, similar to 1st Tool Probe, which would correctly set the Z height in the WCS assuming a pre-defined block height that's used as a base on the work material? Especially when using multiple tools or vCarve bits this would make things significantly easier, especially because I have difficulty changing tools and will often unintentionally move the machine in the process.
Please take a look at the first post of this new topic.

I suppose that's what you were looking for.

See ya,
MRKane

Message par MRKane »

That is exactly what I was after! Man that's so handy and useful - I've just been using it with the CNC and it'll form the basis of my workflow from now on.

Thank you so much!

-Kano
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

Hi Kano,
MRKane a écrit : 22 janv. 2023 01:44 That is exactly what I was after! Man that's so handy and useful - I've just been using it with the CNC and it'll form the basis of my workflow from now on.
Great ! Note if you are actually using a v.1.0 or v.1.5 Grbl board on your CNC, and you switch -- one day -- it for a v.2.0 one, you will have to flash again the ESP-32 of the TFT with its last firmware realise. I explain. Few month ago, a member fownd the solution of the incompatibility issue we had met with the Tools screen buttons use and the Grbl_Esp32 firmware. Grbl_Esp32 did not accepted spaces between the commands included in this buttons. This member proposed a solution to mstrens who have modified the code of the TFT firmware in consequence on its Github's page, to fix the issue. The problem concerned the v.2.0 Grbl board only. Finally, if you are interested in benefiting of some new TFT firmware features, like OTA flash method, you can download the version I modified in the first post of this topic. I let you the pleasure (;)) to translate the post with a translator like DeepL.

See ya,
MRKane

Message par MRKane »

Thanks for the information! I've got the old 1.5, and my theory on when/if I'll upgrade is essentially "when I can't use it anymore".

So far I've been immensely impressed with the handling of the entire MakerFR CNC and the community that surrounds it too! I've been thrilled at how simple it was to add this extra functionality, but would encourage developers to make this a standard addition in base firmware for idiots like me ;)

Just did my first v-carve inlay today too - the Triskele, as a coaster for my wife as she's from Breton :D
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

Hi Kano,
MRKane a écrit : 22 janv. 2023 03:45 Thanks for the information! I've got the old 1.5, and my theory on when/if I'll upgrade is essentially "when I can't use it anymore".
You are right. The v.1.5 Grbl board works very fine too.

You probably correct it by yourself, but I just went to correct a mistake at the 5.2 of the "Tool" menu user guide.
At this step you have to do a "Set X=0" followed by a "Set Y=0" and not two successive "Set X=0". Download link of the user guide unchanged.

See ya,
Répondre