Candle issue

sohejl

Candle issue

Message par sohejl »

Hi,

long time no see - i moved therefore my rs was quite a time out of work... now I wanted to get it back on track and start some pcb work but run into an issue. I wanted to use candle for the pcb milling since there is a heightmap function which is quite helpfull in this little dimensions. Everything works fine and as expected except one thing.

When I run the gcode, generated from altium production output (gerber files) to flatcam for gcode and then candle with an usb connection to the rscnc, some times and without any indication or understandable (at least for me in the moment) candles stops in a line and the cnc moves along one axis and doesn't stop anymore - I have to stop it manually.

Quite problematic is
- it doesn't happen every time
- the chance that it happens increases if the gcode is long
- it doesn't happen at the same location in the gcode when I run it several times
- it doesn't effect only one axis, at some time it runs along y, and another time it's x axis
- I tried with different candle versions from 1.2b, then 1.1.7, then 1.0.11, the last one doesn't work with the rscnc, but both other do, but I have with both of them the same issue

In the moment I'm a little depressed since, I have to stop working on my projects again and looking to solve this issue or another solution/alternative to candle.

Maybe someone here can give me a hind where or what to look fore?

Regards
Soli
Best Regards
Soli
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Re: Candle issue

Message par RoMaker »

Hi Soli,

Verify your version of ESP32 in Arduino software:

The version Should be the 1.0.4, and not the 1.0.5 or 1.0.6 which are problematics with serial communication

If it's not the 1.0.4, install the 1.0.4 and re-flash the ESP32.

Otherwise, try with another USB cable, or try with a lower baudrate (must be the same in the config.h of the TFT firmware and in Candle settings)

Let me know
Romain
sohejl

Message par sohejl »

Hi,

it seems I'm running out of luck... I tried to flash the esp32 anew but I'm running into more problems even there... if I try to I get following error message
"cannot declare variable 'telnetServer' to be of abstract type 'WifiServer'" - full message is in the attached txt file :o

- I updated the arduino ide to 1.8.13 and followed the desciption on the website for v1.0 and 1.5
- tried with ESP32 Dev Module and Wemos Lolin32 => same error
- then deinstalled arduino IDE and installed it anew => same error

since for the moment I don't know how to proceed here I will use the time and test with another usb cable. In the meantime it would be great if you have a hint for me, how to get the arduino ide running again.

Regards
Soli
Vous n’avez pas les permissions nécessaires pour voir les fichiers joints à ce message.
Best Regards
Soli
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

Did you download the last version of TFT firmware following the link on the tutorial ?
Did you install all libraries ?
#define TFT_CARD_VERSION 1” must be set to “1” for V1.0 and V1.5 GRBL32bits boards

Romain
sohejl

Message par sohejl »

I followed the online tutorial

- updated arduino IDE to 1.8.13
- installed the board from the provided link
- installed SDFAT in version 2.0.6
- downloaded the firmware via link from the tutorial ("Firware vers. 2.0.v (3 may 2021)")
- set in config.h
- #define WIFI to NO_WIFI
- commented #define LOCAL_IP "192.168.1.10" out and #define LOCAL_IP "" in
- left #define TFT_CARD_VERSION 1 alone, since it is already on 1
- then I connected the board and made the settings according to the tut

and then it stops when I hit check or flash with this error message.

I will try to delete everything and start with a newly installed arduino ide.
Best Regards
Soli
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

I just modified the end of the step 1 to get libraries by another way, try the modification and let me know
https://www.makerfr.com/cnc/grbl-32-bit ... esp32-tft/

Edit: I got no compilation issue with the tutorial modifications, i uninstalled Arduino to start from a blank software.

If you still get compil issue, try that before installing again Arduino software: https://support.arduino.cc/hc/en-us/art ... rduino-IDE
sohejl

Message par sohejl »

Busy day ;-) but at least I can go to sleep with a good feeling... I haven't seen you reply before but...

- I changed the USB cable which at first which looked like it helped, but after some test runs without problems I hade the same issue
- then I deinstalled arduino IDE completly including all libraries and whatever I could find in the user folder and so on
- reinstalled arduino IDE and followed again the tutorial (but the old one) and installing the board in the board manager took quite some time (the server seems to be very slow or overloaded)
- then flashing the ESP32 worked fine

=> since then I haven't had the issue again. for the moment it seems that this has done the trick and I could finish the test PCB which looks quite fine for the first shoot and I'm sure will become really great after finetuning my settings in altium. :lol:

Thanks a lot for your help I appreciate it very much!

May I ask one last question? After Updating the ESP32 I have seen, that you did some changes also to the TFT layout and especially the senisitivity of the TFT seems also be changed and it is more responsive than before (like that) => should I update the STM32 also (I haven't done that since my build of the RS-CNC 2019)
Vous n’avez pas les permissions nécessaires pour voir les fichiers joints à ce message.
Best Regards
Soli
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

Nice PCB milling !
I'm happy that your issue seems solved :D

There is no change on the GRBL STM32 firmware

As you're using the new firmware of the TFT, you can see my all new tutorial on the TFT manual wich could help you https://www.makerfr.com/en/cnc/grbl-32- ... oi-du-tft/
Romain
msbealo

Message par msbealo »

I'm glad that you've managed to sort this out, if it continues then I suggest that you test controlling the maching directly.

I've had very similar issues when I run gcode on UGS and connect with a USB cable. The wisdom at the time was that a USB connection is not reliable enough and you need to run locally with an SD Card using the TFT Screen to control. I use UGS to set things up and then disconnect and control the machine directly for the actual cut.
sohejl

Message par sohejl »

Hi guys,

since my workshop is coming along I changed the position of the CNC and you might laugh but my issues started again... :roll:

I forgot to answer to the last comment... thanks for the hint, since I definetly need a height map implemented for the pcb stuff... how can I do that, when working with an sd card instead of the direct usb connection?

The other question, I wanted to try romains hint regarding baud rates. I looked in the config.h of the TFT firmware but I cannot identify where to change it.

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards
Soli
Répondre