Y-Axis not moving. Problem with GRBL-board?

Répondre
knappeadu

Y-Axis not moving. Problem with GRBL-board?

Message par knappeadu »

Hello,

I have a Problem with my RS-CNC32.
All of a sudden, the Y-axis not moving anymore.
All stepper drivers are fine. (checked by switching the drivers. The "y-stepper-driver" works fine when connected with the command wires from the x-Axis outputs on the GRBL board)
All motors are fine.
Connections double checked. Wires replaced between grbl-board and stepper drivers.

When I try to manually move the axis with the buttons on the TFT, I see the position digits changing but nothing happens.
Gcode commands via bCNC work for x and z-axis but not the y-axis.
Therefore, I think I was able to limit the problem to somewhere between the output for the Y-direction on the board and or the software? (I doubt the latter one)
The axis is moving without problems when I connect the commandwires (dir, ena, pul) from another axis with the stepper for the y-axis.

Any suggestions what to check next?
Are there known hardware problems with the grbl boards?

Best regards,
Stefan
mstrens

Re: Y-Axis not moving. Problem with GRBL-board?

Message par mstrens »

Check the soldering on the STM32. There are several people that made bad soldering and had similar issue.
Check with an ohmmeter the continuity from the STM32 pin up to the driver.
knappeadu

Message par knappeadu »

Hi mstrens,

thank you for your quick answer.
I was able to check the continuity with an ohmmeter and can confirm that I was able to measure resistance between every y-output pin and the stm32-board.
Also, I took two photos of the stm32 to verify the soldering.
https://ibb.co/FnyJsxq
https://ibb.co/wzHTTg5
Besides the fact that it does not look like a work of art, I was assuming that it still does the job. I'm open for any spot which you think I should re-solder.

Best regards,
Stefan
jahislove

Message par jahislove »

got a similar probleme .

the cable between stepper and the motor was deffective inside the cable chain

check it
jijiz

Message par jijiz »

Not a wire issue because motor is working on another axis.
I had an Grbl board wich became suddently defective. Maybe you should consider buying another Grbl board and if it resolve the issue send back the defective to Romain. I wonder if moving by hand one axis may generate a current into the grbl and burn a component...
knappeadu

Message par knappeadu »

Hello thanks for the input.

All stepper drivers and motors are fully functional.
When changing the output pins among the other axis (for example, use the X-pins for the Y-steppers, I can move the Y-axis, but not the X-axis.
jahislove a écrit : 01 févr. 2021 20:43 got a similar probleme .

the cable between stepper and the motor was deffective inside the cable chain

check it
My next thing is to buy another STM32 because it's cheap to replace and potentially eliminate this element in the chain.
Next step would be the GRBL board.

I will keep you updated.
knappeadu

Message par knappeadu »

Hello again,

after soldering again and again some spots on the stm32 board it works.
I'm happy, yet I still don't know what I did wrong besides the obvious because it looked ok to me.

Thank for your help.
I had an Grbl board wich became suddently defective. Maybe you should consider buying another Grbl board and if it resolve the issue send back the defective to Romain. I wonder if moving by hand one axis may generate a current into the grbl and burn a component...
While trying to figure the problem out, I was moving the motors (with the main power being switched off) and I saw the lights of the drivers flickering. They still work and since everything is working again, I can say that short-timed moderat movement does not burn the GRBL
jijiz

Message par jijiz »

knappeadu a écrit : 02 févr. 2021 19:45 Hello again,

after soldering again and again some spots on the stm32 board it works.
I'm happy, yet I still don't know what I did wrong besides the obvious because it looked ok to me.

Thank for your help.
While trying to figure the problem out, I was moving the motors (with the main power being switched off) and I saw the lights of the drivers flickering. They still work and since everything is working again, I can say that short-timed moderat movement does not burn the GRBL
Great ;)
Répondre