Questions about M6 command (Manual Tool Change)

Répondre
3DStyle

Questions about M6 command (Manual Tool Change)

Message par 3DStyle »

Hi,

I'm trying to run a G-Code file that has a M6 command (manual tool change) in it and I get some odd results.
1. Every file that has the M6 command in it, the LCD screen shows an error: "20. Unsupported command". Why is this?
This command is supported on GRBL by nature - https://github.com/vlachoudis/bCNC/wiki/Tool-Change

2. The M6 is not usable with the LCD interface menu. When the machine stops after the M6 command, basically the machine is stuck, I can't resume the job afterwards.
In addition, can we have control on the gantry after the tool change, in order to zero the Z axis after we changed to new tool?

Or, is there any other approach for changing tools during a milling job?
mstrens

Re: Questions about M6 command (Manual Tool Change)

Message par mstrens »

As far I know, GRBL does not support change tool.
So if you put it in a Gcode file that you send from the SDcard, GRBL will generates an error and stop.

bCNC has develop a workaround.
Before sending the gcode file to GRBL it (internally) modifies the code being sent.
It offers 3 options:
- send the code as it is. In this case GRBL will get the change tool command and generates an error
- discard the tool change command. In this case, there is a risk that the CNC does not operates as expected
- use a macro in order to simulate the tool change.
This requires some setup in bCNC.

The easiest (from my point of view) is still to generate a different gcode file for each tool.
Furthermore, if you install a fix probing system, the TFT offers you some options to manage the change tool in an easy way (but still with one file per tool).
3DStyle

Re: Questions about M6 command (Manual Tool Change)

Message par 3DStyle »

Hi mstrens, thanks for the informative answer.

Can you please elaborate about the TFT options to manage tool change with a fixed probe system? What is the procedure?
Répondre