gerbl board seems to be broken RS-CNC32

geostein8888

Re: gerbl board seems to be broken RS-CNC32

Message par geostein8888 »

Hello,
do i take out the stm board from the gerbl board? if not, can i connect the ftdi over the pins what i use also to connect the esp board?
on my ftdi board is a jumper for 5v and 3.3V, do i have to set this for 3.3V here?

Georg
geostein8888

Hello,
guess i found the issue now in the french boord:
Je confirme que c'est bien un problème d'incompatibilité des STM32 de chez Azdelivery.
and i have now 2 of them. can you please propose me a stm32 what will work like it should

Georg
mstrens

Message par mstrens »

geostein8888 a écrit : 07 déc. 2020 15:15 Hello,
do i take out the stm board from the gerbl board? if not, can i connect the ftdi over the pins what i use also to connect the esp board?
on my ftdi board is a jumper for 5v and 3.3V, do i have to set this for 3.3V here?

Georg
Sorry for late reply. I did not saw that you had a question.
Yo can let the STM32 on the board and and let it powered by the CNC power supply.
In this case, you must only connect 3 wires between ftdi and the board (Gnd, TX and RX ; those 2 being crossed so TX of one goes to RX of the other).

On the FTDI you must put the jumper on 3.3V
geostein8888

Hello,
today i got another stm32 module, what is not from AZ-Delivery. I programmed it (115200 Baud) and i get still the same error. I have now 3 stm32 what can not connect somehow to the esp32. The wiring is correct, the baud rate of stm and esp is 115200 but no luck.
i did not change the jumpers of the stm32 while programming, they are still in the same position like shown on the tutorial here on the site - what can i do wrong here? I dont think that all 3 modules are damaged, there must be another bug in the system than that

i also tried to connect the stm over the ftdi interface (stm:a9 -> RXD, stm:a10 -> TXD, stm:gnd -> gnd, stm:5V -> 5v) my pc (win10) does even not see the module. I tried also to install the driver for the ftdi, same result

Georg
geostein8888

Hello,
isn't it possible that the esp is the one with the communication problem? and how can i test this?

Georg
mstrens

Message par mstrens »

It could be that the issue is a defect ESP32 but again to test it you should use the FTDI.

I suggest that you first try to use the ftdi to test the STM32 as explained.

To use the FTDI you have probably to install the good driver.
Your ftdi should be recognised by the pc when the USB cable is connected.
You do not have to connect the ftdi to the STM32 to let the pc recognise the ftdi module (with a com port).

Take care that there are several chips used by different manufacters to build a usb/serial.
Each uses a different driver.
So, you have to find the good driver for your usb/serial module.

Take also care that some USB cables are foreseen only to recharge batteries and does not have the 2 wires needed to transmit/receive data.
Using a wrong cable will not allow you pc to recognize the module
geostein8888

Hello,
ok, the ftdi is not working, i gat a wrong cable without the data lines connected.
what do i have to do next. I started already the arduino dev tool

Georg
mstrens

Message par mstrens »

You message is not clear for me because you say that FTDI in not working due to a bad cable.
I presume that you got now a good cable and that it is now working.

if so, you can process as I said before:

-disconnect the esp32 board from the STM32 board (esp32 board is not used in this test)
- connect 3 wires between ftdi and stm32 board: Gnd on gnd, Tx on Rx, Rx on TX (so Tx and Rx are crossed)
- do not yet connect your ftdi to the pc
- start up Arduino IDE
- in tool menu, look at the port being available (perhaps there are none)
- connect the ftdi to the pc
- reopen the tool menu, looking at the port, you should have now one more port (e.g. COM5)
- select the new port
- in arduino, press CTRL+SHIFT+M; this open a new window (the arduino serial terminal)
- in this window, look at the bottom right at the baudrate. set the value on 115200
- press the reset button on the stm32. You should get a message from GRBL on the PC screen.
- in the top frame of arduino serial terminal, you can enter commands. E.g.press $$ + ENTER
- if the STM32 works, it should reply sending the grbl config on the PC screen..
geostein8888

Hello,
i connected now my notebook via the ftdi interface to the gerbl module, rx/tx crossed, and send a $$+Enter with the terminal in the arduino ide to the module (baud: 115200), nothing happened. to be sure i tried after this also without crossing rx/td same result. The ftdi was set to 3.3V and i did not connected only with rx/tx and gnd to the module.
The com port was correct, when i send the chars, a led was blinking on the ftdi module shortly
IMG_20201210_102804.jpg
Georg
Vous n’avez pas les permissions nécessaires pour voir les fichiers joints à ce message.
mstrens

Message par mstrens »

it is strange.
Can you make the following test:
- remove the stm32 from the board.
- on FTDI keep the jumper on 3.3V
- from the FTDI, do not use the pins on the side but use those at the opposite side from the USB (I do not now if it is important but my FTDI do not have pins on the sides)
- connect Gnd to Gnd, Tx to RX, Rx to TX and Vcc (from FTDI) to VCC (from STM32)
- connect the FTDI to the pc (USB)
- open arduino IDE, select good COM port, open serial terminal (pressing CTRL+SHIFT+M), check that baudrate on the pc is 115200 (below right corner), adapt baud rate if required
- press the reset button on the STM32 module.
You should get a message form the STM32 (saying grbl and a version)
Répondre