Homing X and Y

vertical12

Homing X and Y

Message par vertical12 »

Hi,
I have everything setup from my new build and it is working mechanically the one problem I am having with it is to get it to home on the X and Y axis.

I start the homing cycle and the Z hits the stop and resets then the Y starts but heads away (wrong direction) from the limit switch. Everything is wired the same on all the controllers and the board (The same as the Z wiring that is).

Is there a setting in the soft/firmware that I can change to give it the correct orientation - I also manually set the xyz zero position and ran a file this started in the back right corner rather than the front left?

Any help would be great thanks
stu_le_brew46

Re: Homing X and Y

Message par stu_le_brew46 »

You need to study the grbl manual to setup the parameters for direction correctly

specifically the $S2 command, you can do this by connecting a PC or Laptop to the machine via the USB cable link.
It may look difficult but its some thing that once you understand it its fine
Vous n’avez pas les permissions nécessaires pour voir les fichiers joints à ce message.
vertical12

Message par vertical12 »

Thanks for the help - I figured some of it out with the use of universal gcode sender. I have the machine set in the correct orientation

Now I have another problem the Z only travels down (with the PC and also nuchuck) Has anyone had this issue? Should I re-flash the firmware? or something along those lines?

It was working (Z up and down) before changing the settings
mstrens

Message par mstrens »

Reflashing should not make changes.

Usually, if an axis move only in one direction, there is something wrong with the wiring of the DIR signal.
Check that you have 5V on DIR+ (on the driver).
Check the wiring between STM32 shield and DIR_ (on the driver)
Check the soldering on STM32 for DIR pin.

Note: you can also check that the driver is OK. To do so, disconnect the wire DIR- from the shield.
If you ask for a move (up and down), the motor should turn in only one direction.
Then connect the DIR- pin of the driver to Gnd (from the shield).
If you ask again for a move (up or down), the motor should now turn in the opposite direction.
It is is so, it means the driver is OK.

Note: in a previous message, someone refers to a $2 parameter.
I do not think it is correct.
$2 is to define the "Pulses" (= steps signal).
To invert the direction of some axis, it is parameter $3
Here the link to GRBL doc.
https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Grbl- ... figuration
stu_le_brew46

oops sorry I am guilty of course I meant to refer to $3 as mstrens correctly posted, although the table for step port invert mask is correct for both $2 and $3

my only excuse is that my machine is now moved to its permanent home at a friends workshop so I wasn't able to go look to check before posting

good luck
vertical12

Message par vertical12 »

Thanks for the help, yes it was wiring causing the Z to only go down - the DuPont connector on the board was no good.

How I fixed the orientation issue above was to use the wizard on universal gcode sender https://winder.github.io/ugs_website/ you can move the axis's during the wizard setup so it was easy to invert etc..

Now if I can figure out my homing issue I will be all sorted
vertical12

Message par vertical12 »

Here is the errors I am getting on homing
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Vous n’avez pas les permissions nécessaires pour voir les fichiers joints à ce message.
stu_le_brew46

I had the exact same homing issue after first boot of the machine, I think by default it is back left, and of course you need to change it to front left, using the $3 bitmap
vertical12

Message par vertical12 »

Okay so how did you make the change? What software and do you remember the settings?
stu_le_brew46

I have just checked my notes on GRBL, its the $23 command which changes the direction for homing so in my case $23=2 inverts the Y axis homing, sorry should have checked my notes earlier, anyway this should fix the homing issue
Répondre