(Fixed!) Gcode suspended for more than 2 min error

Répondre
sul

(Fixed!) Gcode suspended for more than 2 min error

Message par sul »

Hi all, this is my first post so i wanted to say thanks to Romain for such a great design and sharing his hard work for us to use.

I've had my machine working for several months now, and on the whole it's worked very well. However, many of my CNC programmes have stopped randomly, with the spindle still spinning but no movement on any axes. It'll sit like that until the error "GCode suspended for more than 2 mins" comes on screen and the only option is to cancel the cutting and start again. Clicking on the wifi symbol brings up the error codes, and random weird characters can be seen on screen along with the occasional "oh" or "o+". I've seen on here that others have had similar problems and it's because of interference between the STM32 and ESP32 modules.

I've spent countless hours rewiring, adding more and more ground wires and shielding to all the cables, moving the STM32 as close as possible to the ESP32, and i even bought new STM and ESP modules - all with no success, if anything the problem has been getting worse to the point where it now stops almost every single time i run it.

Today, i was almost on the point of giving up! However, the last thing i could think of was to try running without the micro-usb cable connected to the ESP32 - the one that you can connect a PC to. Success!!!! I ran the same 10 minute job 10 times in a row without a single error or failure! I plugged the usb cable back in, 2 failures in a row with the weird characters and "Gcode suspended". Unplugged it, and the job worked fine again.

I can't explain why this would cause this - there wasn't a PC connected to it so it shouldn't be doing anything. But it now works without it connected, and i'm totally over the moon. I hope this helps others having the same problem.

While i'm on the subject of failures. I also had an issue where 1 of the axes would stop working after about an hour. Turns out the driver was overheating, a PC cooling fan has fixed that!
mstrens

Re: (Fixed!) Gcode suspended for more than 2 min error

Message par mstrens »

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think that some members also had similar issues even when the ESP32 was not connected to a PC.
Did you ever try to use another power supply (not the 24V) for the ESP32 and STM32. Perhaps it could also help.
sul

Message par sul »

With luck it'll help someone else troubleshoot theirs. I should add that i never had a PC connected, just the micro-usb cable with the unconnected female end left open.

I tried another 24v supply onto the main board (the one with the STM32 connected) but without success. I also tried ferrite rings on all the shielded wires (reset/spindle pwm/limit switches and the 4 wires from STM to ESP). These didn't fix the problem for me, but i've left them on as i guess they can't hurt.
sanremo

Message par sanremo »

mstrens a écrit : 09 juil. 2020 21:55 Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think that some members also had similar issues even when the ESP32 was not connected to a PC.
Did you ever try to use another power supply (not the 24V) for the ESP32 and STM32. Perhaps it could also help.
Can I use a 36V power-supply without any limitations regarding the board (V1.0)? - Cause it is provided for just 24V?
Répondre