Fredericton Makerspace Building The I3-RS

LHC

Re: Fredericton Makerspace Building The I3-RS

Message par LHC »

Hi -

I actually opened the component in Fusion 360 and did a little cross section analysis while I was waiting for your reply and see that it is indeed 0.2mm - no drill 😊

Are the other 2 screws enough to hold the stepper ? I mean - have you had any issues with them loosening up over time?

I have wondered why the bracket for this and the x motor bracket are "open" and the 4th hole in the stepper is not used. Just curious.

Thanks a million for all your help👍

Some parts are now ordered and some are back ordered. We will have to take a group picture of us with our I3-RS printers when they are all done and post them up here 😊
At the moment there are three of us building at the same time.

Lewis
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

Hi !
3 screws are enough to hold stepper.

Can't wait to see your I3-RS ;)
LHC

Message par LHC »

I'll be quiet for a few days now - we're all ordering parts ! :D
LHC

Message par LHC »

We're back again - still ordering parts :D

This has brought up a question. It appears from digging into the other section and running the postings through google translate, there is some different versions of the BL Touch ? BL Touch Classic and a newer BL Touch Smart ?

1 - Are they functionally the same thing?
2 - The Smart version (on Aliexpress) looks like it might be a different length than the Classic, requiring a Z height adjustment to the 3d printed bracket. Does anyone have the extra amount that must be added to the bracket so that the tip is at the right height above the bed ?

Romain - it looks like you may have purchased a version of this Smart BL Touch - did you change the bracket already on your download page, or is it the bracket that is for the Classic? Just want to be be sure before I start changing an already changed version !

Thanks very much !
Lewis
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

Hi !

I assembled a second I3-RS at home with BL-Touch smart, there is no modifications to do, it's the good length and works as the "classic"
LHC

Message par LHC »

Sounds great Romain ! Just to be sure - this is the same BLTouch Smart clone in your parts list on Aliexpress correct ?
As always, thank you very much for all your help.
Lewis
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

Yes , i ordered the one of my link
LHC

Message par LHC »

We have placed our BLTouch Smart clone orders ! Thanks very much.

I have been doing some small modifications to your excellent design to better suit our materials here in Canada. The threaded rod brace has been altered to 5/16-18 which is the most common here. The frame has been altered to 6mm aluminum and we will tap holes where we can to make assembly easier.

We have also decided to add a second Z brace on the other side - not because it required it, but because it gives us the option to relocate the power supply and cpu enclosure under the printer if we decide to enclose the printer for a heated environment. Once the power supply is removed it would not be as stiff on that side. The addition of the second Z brace with the power supply remaining on the frame however required us to modify the upper and lower brackets, in addition to creating the mirror image versions of them.

The dual Z brace brackets required changing the LED bar slightly - and we are using a 3/4" x 0.125" aluminum for the bar - again, very common on this side of the Atlantic :D

Once we have completed all the modifications we are going to do to the design, I would be happy to provide anyone with the full Fusion 360 model and all components used in it. But there are still small adjustments being made so I will wait until it's all complete. For example, the power supply mounting has to be altered slightly with the second Z brace, and this cannot be done until we have received our power supplies from China to be sure we have the changes correct.

All the above are of course not required, but it will make it somewhat easier for us and a little better suited to the North American builders.

I'll post more as we have news to report and once again, many thanks to Romain for his fantastic contribution to the hobby !

Lewis
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

Your'e welcome Lewis !
Can't wait to see your work ;)
LHC

Message par LHC »

Hi Romain -
It appears the MKS TFT32 display is out of stock at the moment at AliExpress. I have contacted Makerbase to see if they can tell me when it will be back in stock, but I was wondering - can the firmware you have developed for the 3.2 display, also work with the newer TFT35 or the smaller TFT24? Or is there a nightmare to re-work the icons and graphics etc? I realize the printed case and brackets would have to be reworked too. I will probably just wait until the 3.2 is back in stock but thought I'd ask you about the other screens and if they are a possibility or not.

Thanks
Lewis
Répondre