Multi bit workflow

Répondre
Patient0x00

Multi bit workflow

Message par Patient0x00 »

Hi,

I have a project that will require multiple bits. Is there a way to memorize the starting position and recall it?

The workflow that I believe I need to have is the following:

1 - Set the bit and calibrate the tool.
2 - Bring it to my part origin as defined in the CAM software.
3 - Memorize the position.
4 - Execute the gcode for that bit.
5 - Upon completion, remove the bit and place the next one.
6 - Calibrate the tool again, because the bit length might be different, the Z value might be different and should be used as an offset.
7 - Move the tool to the memorized position.
8 - Execute the gcode for that bit.
9 - Rinse and repeat from 5 until running out of bits and gcode.

Is there a way to do that exact workflow or am I missing/understanding something wrong?
It was my understanding that G54 to G59 are intended for that purpose but I don't see how they can be set through he touch screen and I can't seem to be able to connect a software like Mach 4 to the board...

Frederik
Aze

Re: Multi bit workflow

Message par Aze »

I do something like that with my R-CNC. But I don't know how the RS-CNC is using the ENA wires from the TB6600. With the R-CNC, only the ENA from the Z motor is wired, so after a first gcode, X and Y are still enable if I don't shut off the CNC: I can change the bit without losing steps in X and Y. I just disable the Z motor from the LCD menu (I click on 'disable motors' and only Z is disabled).
Check my video (second part), you'll see my workflow (maybe there is a better one, but this one works for me).
Make some tests to find which workflow is the best for you. But it's possible, so don't worry ;)

Patient0x00

Pretty cool video! I enjoyed the music for sure!

You are using the fact that the spindle is back to the original position so that the next one would start from the same point. Make sense and I was going down that path, you just showed me how to do it! Thank you for that.

I think there is one caveat to notice with that method. You are assuming that you still have enough material that you can place that plate on. so if your first operation is a facing operation, you are going to lose the top stock as the reference. You might have to adjust the second start from a different height. That's a little mental gymnastic when creating the path and then when you do the setup! :-)
I think another thing to do is maybe keep a little bit of material in one of the corner and use that as a reference point. Of course, using a corner as reference make the alignement in X and Y directions a little more complicated than using the center of the material.

On the same topic, I have done some extra investigation and the Repetier firmware does not implement G54->G59 so there is no way to perform the operation I described. We would have to change the firmware and I don't think too many people wants to tackle that since there is really no use for 3d printing for those features.

As for your question on how the RS-CNC firmware handles the motor disabling, there are two actions: Disable Z Motor and Disable Motors and all three axis are wired for ENA. Unfortunately, I believe there is a defect in the implementation and both options are disabling all the motors. Looking at the code, it seems that the commands emitted are M84 and M84 Z. Looking into the GCode reference, Repetier seems to plain ignore the Z parameter.
M84 - Disable steppers until next move, or use S to specify an inactivity timeout, after which the steppers will be disabled. S0 to disable the timeout.
Looking at the code seems to confirm that only the S parameter is processed.
Of course, there is a very high probability that I can be wrong and misread the code.

TL;DR: I don't know how it is done on the R-CNC but it does not seem possible using a single command on the RS-CNC. One alternate procedure/sequence to get the same result is: More > Disable Z Motor, Push hardware Reset Button, Move > X-, Move X+, Move Y-, Move Y+. That set the motors for X and Y to hold bring the tool to the same position. Since we are not touching the Z-Motor, you can then manually set the Z offset to the wanted value.
Make sense?
Kachidoki

Message par Kachidoki »

Hi Patient0x00,

I looked at the code and I confirm that the M84 command ignore the Z parameter. But while looking for a way into the code to disable the Z axis alone, I found the M18 command that fulfill this purpose. According the description, the M18 / M84 confusion came from the Marlin implementation:
On Marlin, M18 is a synonym of M84, so it can also be used to configure or disable the idle timeout.
Patient0x00

Oooh!

That is priceless information because I have just tested and replacing the command in the configuration file from M84 Z to M18 Z works! So Disable Z Motor disables only the Z motor now. I'v also confirmed in the source code of Repetier that it is supported, which makes sense since it works! :-D But interestingly enough the S parameter is not

I'm not sure how to communicate bugs for fixing for inclusion in further release of the firmware...

Thank you!

Frederik
Kachidoki

Message par Kachidoki »

I think Romain (RoMaker) reads all the messages of the forum (BTW, me too), he will know that topic for sure and publish an update.

Aze, maybe you should do a new video now. :lol:
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

Yes i read all topics, we have to create a list of modifications for the Arduino firmware and TFT firmware.
PS: Frederik est Francophone, je ne sais pas pourquoi il publie en Anglais bien qu'il soit aux USA ;)
Patient0x00

Because I have spent 20 years in the US and technical discussion comes easily in English! :-) I’m also a tech guy but I think I already betrayed myself with the content of the post...

Après 20 ans aux US c est parfois dur de discuter certains sujets que j ai appris en anglais même si effectivement je suis Français.

Si la partie francophone est la préférence, je peux faire l effort et poster sur la section française ou bien sur les deux mais ça serait redondant et je ne suis pas sûr de la règle pour “double-posting” ici.

Frederik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aze

Message par Aze »

Patient0x00 a écrit : 10 oct. 2018 08:22 I think another thing to do is maybe keep a little bit of material in one of the corner and use that as a reference point. Of course, using a corner as reference make the alignement in X and Y directions a little more complicated than using the center of the material.
I do sometimes like that if I don't have a 'facing operation'. Like you say, it's a little mental gymnastic but it's OK. Most important thing is just that it's doable ;)
Apparently, you've got the brain to find the good workflow easily. Maybe a NEW VIDEO?? :lol:
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

Patient0x00 a écrit : 10 oct. 2018 19:15 Because I have spent 20 years in the US and technical discussion comes easily in English! :-) I’m also a tech guy but I think I already betrayed myself with the content of the post...

Après 20 ans aux US c est parfois dur de discuter certains sujets que j ai appris en anglais même si effectivement je suis Français.

Si la partie francophone est la préférence, je peux faire l effort et poster sur la section française ou bien sur les deux mais ça serait redondant et je ne suis pas sûr de la règle pour “double-posting” ici.

Frederik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, if it's easier for you , you can stay here, it's just that you'll have more answers in French section ;)
Répondre