Software solution etc.

Dregild

Software solution etc.

Message par Dregild »

Hi RoMaker

By pure luck I stumbled over RS-CNC on Pinterest. It is a very impressive and professional work you have made – the best homebuilt CNC I believe I have seen on the WEB. The documentation is outstanding and the construction seems very solid. I have ordered all the parts (thanks to Your links on the parts list) and they are slowly arriving via China Post. I have printed most off the printable parts and assembled the frame. I have chosen to use plywood, as it seems just as stable as aluminium – and much easier to get hold of. For the bottom plate I have printed corners instead of making the plate corners fit the frame (cannot attach STL!?).
I have a couple of questions:
1) I’m going to make the Z-plate of aluminium as I have a piece that will fit. So I will use the Spacer_alu_plate.STL. In the picture tutorcnc-41.jpg I think I see an additional printed part, I cannot find among the STL-files. It is mounted upon the spacer?
2) I think I understand why you have chosen to use Repetier as it makes a solid and simple solution with the TFT and SD-card, but is born in the 3D-printing world. Is it possible to combine a grbl-solution with the TFT and SD-card (https://github.com/makerbase-mks/MKS-TFT/issues/189), which is more CNC oriented? Or have you considered using a more CNC-oriented solution as example grbl with cncjs and RasperryPi?

Thanks from Dregild
Vous n’avez pas les permissions nécessaires pour voir les fichiers joints à ce message.
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Re: Software solution etc.

Message par RoMaker »

Hi Dregild
Thank you for your comment ;)
You have 2 choice for the Z-plate:
- The printed Z-plate with the spacer integrated in the design.
- Make an aluminium Z-plate with the DXF file AND print the Z-plate spacer wich fit between Z-plate and the Z POM nut.

On the last version, we used Marlin and that was not very stable for a CNC use, with Repetier it is very stable !
We could modify and use GRBL but what will be better than Repetier ?
Cheers

Romain
Dregild

Message par Dregild »

Hi Roman

It was the POM nyt I could see in the picture! Thought it was a 3D printet piece :oops:!

I have a CNC for metal driven by LinuxCNC, but it uses the parallel port on a PC, and that I would like to get reed of, so I have looked for another solution with ex. GRBL, cncjs or UGSPlatform and RasperryPi.

Now I have looked a little more into Repetier and I will build the RS-CNC as designed and try it out. It might be a good solution.

👍Benni
Dregild

Message par Dregild »

HI

I’m nearly finished with building the RS-CNC. A few parts from China still missing and a few parts delivered with problems: a POM-nut that does not fit the lead screw (?!) and a broken TFT. I’m now fiddling with the software, but it does not work:
I have downloaded and installed the firmware and Repetier host, connected the x-motor, and tried to make it run (the wiring, motor and driver tested with other software did work), but it does not work. I have not done all wiring (reset button etc.) and the TFT is probably defect, but it ought to work anyway? With the nunchuck I can make it turn one way, but not the other, and when I use Repetier host manual control it is the same – only one way, and I cannot send G-code to the printer. Tried both Windows and Mac – it is the same. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Aze

Message par Aze »

One direction -> it must be a problem with your endstops (or if you didn't plug them). Try to inverse the logic of them in the firmware (NO -> NC or NC -> NO ), make an EEPROM CLEAR (arduino IDE -> exemples -> eeprom -> eeprom clear() ) reload your firmware and check again.
Dregild

Message par Dregild »

Hav'ent received the endstopbuttons, so you were right. When I connected the endstop pins I could make it turn the other way too. Still cannot make it move with Gcode, but now I will let it rest until all parts and all wiring is finish. Probably everything will work then, or I will return :) Thank you Aze
Dregild

Message par Dregild »

Now the RS-CNC is finished! But a few problems:

Which is the best posts processor to use in Fusion 360 for the RS-CNC? I have installed and tried this one: https://github.com/martindb/mpcnc_posts_processor but it do not work.

The TFT is unstable. When I push the X-button sometimes I get a move in the Y-direction. When I push the Home (all) button it sometimes only homes Z or X?
;)
Dregild

Message par Dregild »

I have now tried with several posts processors in Fusion 360 with no luck. Some of them produce Gode, that should be readable for Repetier ex BoXZY, and when I load the Gode in Repetier Host for Mac it looks OK in the 3D View (I'm just trying to engrave my name in a peace of MDF) but the result, when the RS-CNC is finished, does not resemble the Fusion 360 model or the 3D View at all - the letters are square (!). Something with not being able to make curves? The result is the same, if I load the program from the TFT.
I can send G-code from the Print Panel without problems allthough the cursor sometimes disapear.
Could it be a problem with communication speed?
Dregild

Message par Dregild »

I think I have solved the problem with the posts processor. I use https://github.com/martindb/mpcnc_posts_processor and I have changed the #define Z_MIN_POS to -16 in configuration.h in the Repetier software. Now it engraves nicely.

The problem with the TFT is not solved. It is very unstable and unpredictable. Push the X+move and the Y-axes sometimes moves, push Home-button and sometimes only X homes and so one. I might mention, that I also have problems with moving with the Nunchuck. When I push the C-button it starts moving in the X+ direction. I can stop the movement by pusling the stick a lille to the left, so I am able to use the Nunchuk, but it is not optimal. I have tryed with two original Nunchucks and they work without trouble.
RoMaker
Administrateur du site

Message par RoMaker »

Hi Drelig ,

Do the movements work with Repetier Host ?
Répondre