No Communication Between ESP32 and GRBL STM32

chaight

No Communication Between ESP32 and GRBL STM32

Message par chaight »

Hi, I built a CNC router using the GRBL32 V1.0 controller 2 years ago, it has worked awesome since! Thank you so much for such a cheap but capable controller. However, it has been unused for 4 months in my garage, and I went to use it today and the ESP32 screen didn't seem to communicate with the controller board (I tapped top left button, no communication, and status was "??") I checked the board and a lot of the connectors were rusty! Only the ones that had current moving through them, which makes sense. I spent the day remaking all my cable harnesses and cleaning the rust off the pins, but the ESP32/screen still doesn't communicate with the GRBL board. How would I troubleshoot this? I modified the firmware and I don't think I have the .bin file, so I have avoided reflashing for now. What other checks can I do?
HTheatre

Re: No Communication Between ESP32 and GRBL STM32

Message par HTheatre »

Hi chaight,

What is the BIN file for ? For the STM-32 is a HEX one and for the ESP-32, you can compile the firmware from ARDUINO IDE.

For your issue, check you didn't inverted the Rx and Tx connctions when you secured the wiring. Remember Tx must be connected to Rx, and Rx to Tx.

Moreover, if you upgraded to the new TFT firmware (with icons), check you changed the Grbl board version for the 1 in config.h file.

See ya,
chaight

Message par chaight »

Hey HTheatre, I meant HEX file sorry. I tried swapping Rx and Tx and still no communication, I'll try new wires today. I haven't changed TFT firmware at all, both boards are running the same code as when they worked.

Will follow up.
chaight

Message par chaight »

With the boards perfectly connected as far as I can tell, still no communication. What order of things should I try? I will flash a new STM32 and try it tonight. If it helps debug, some of the weird things ive seen are the green LED randomly flashing, relay randomly flickering, all motors randomly moving in the same direction, even the red power LED flicker as if somethings drawing its power or dropping the voltage. Very strange, maybe if the connectors rusted something else corroded too...
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

Hi chaight,

Yes, indeed a very strange issue. Do these oddities you noted appear even if you do not connect the Grbl adapter board (the one where the ESP-32 is plugged) to the Grbl board (the main board where the STM-32 is plugged)?

See ya,
chaight

Message par chaight »

Just reflashed another STM32 and it seems to be working fine! Only thing is my program got interrupted accouple times by a hard limit error, even though endstops weren't being touched. I assume due to noise induced into the wiring but I didn't change the wiring too much...
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

Hi chaight,
chaight a écrit : 04 mai 2023 06:40 Only thing is my program got interrupted accouple times by a hard limit error, even though endstops weren't being touched. I assume due to noise induced into the wiring but I didn't change the wiring too much...
I confirm this is surely that.

See ya,
Sophia78

Message par Sophia78 »

chaight a écrit : 02 mai 2023 06:57 Hi, I built a CNC router using the GRBL32 V1.0 controller 2 years ago, it has worked awesome since! Thank you so much for such a cheap but capable controller. However, it has been unused for 4 months in my garage, and I went to use it today and the ESP32 screen didn't seem to communicate with the controller board (I tapped top left button, no communication, and status was "??") I checked the board and a lot of the connectors were rusty! Only the ones that had current moving through them, which makes sense. I spent the day remaking all my cable harnesses and cleaning the rust off the pins, but the ESP32/screen still doesn't communicate with the GRBL board. How would I troubleshoot this? I modified the firmware and I don't think I have the .bin file, so I have avoided reflashing for now. What other checks can I do?
Hi Friend, Thank you very much for giving such nice information.youtube vanced apk
Aashi

Message par Aashi »

chaight a écrit : 03 mai 2023 07:19 With the boards perfectly connected as far as I can tell, still no communication. What order of things should I try? I will flash a new STM32 and try it tonight. If it helps debug, some of the weird things ive seen are the green LED randomly flashing, relay randomly flickering, all motors randomly moving in the same direction, even the red power LED flicker as if somethings drawing its power or dropping the voltage. Very strange, maybe if the connectors rusted something else corroded too...
Hi guys
It seems like you've thoroughly checked the physical connections between the boards, which is a good start. Since you're experiencing various erratic behaviors, flashing a new STM32 and testing it tonight could help in the debugging process. The strange occurrences you've described, such as random LED flashes, relay flickering, and motor movements, suggest a potential power or voltage issue.free fire name
jenia

Message par jenia »

chaight a écrit : 02 mai 2023 06:57 Hi, I built a CNC router using the GRBL32 V1.0 controller 2 years ago, it has worked awesome since! Thank you so much for such a cheap but capable controller. However, it has been unused for 4 months in my garage, and I went to use it today and the ESP32 screen didn't seem to communicate with the controller board (I tapped top left button, no communication, and status was "??") I checked the board and a lot of the connectors were rusty! Only the ones that had current moving through them, which makes sense. I spent the day remaking all my cable harnesses and cleaning the rust off the pins, but the ESP32/screen still doesn't communicate with the GRBL board. How would I troubleshoot this? I modified the firmware and I don't think I have the .bin file, so I have avoided reflashing for now. What other checks can I do?
hello friend,
I'm delighted to hear your CNC router has been useful! It appears that the rusty connections produced some communication problems. After cleaning and remaking the wire harnesses, verify the ESP32 pins, confirm appropriate power supply, and consider rechecking your changed firmware. If the problems persist, flashing the firmware may be necessary. Best wishes,gb whatsapp download
Répondre