gerbl board seems to be broken RS-CNC32

HTheatre

Re: gerbl board seems to be broken RS-CNC32

Message par HTheatre »

Hi Georg,
geostein8888 a écrit : 13 déc. 2020 06:53 yes i used the same ST-Link V2 i used for the linking test and the echo test before
So, I do not understand when you say you press the RESET button of the STM-32.

During the programming of the STM-32, using the USB ST-link v.2 programmer and the ST-link utility, you normally do not have to press this button. If you have to do it, it means you have an issue to connect the ST-link utility to the STM-32.

If it is the case, I suggest you check your USB ST-link v.2 programmer have not a bad internal wiring. One French member, at least, have received an USB ST-link v.2 programmer bad wired. See "Quick and easy programming method", STEP 1, point 7 from the sub-manual dedicated to the STM-32 programming that you can find at the end of the assembly manual of the RS-CNC32. Here is the sub-manual extracted from the assembly manual of the RS-CNC32.

In the case you USB ST-link v.2 programmer have correct internal wiring. I suggest you try to update it with the last available firmware. You do not have to connect the STM-32 to the USB ST-link v.2 programmer for that. "Quick and easy programming method", STEP 1, points 3, 4, 5, and 6 from the sub-manual dedicated to the STM-32 programming.

Once all this done and supposing you still have to press RESET button to connect the ST-link utility to the STM-32, try to completely erase the STM-32. Here is the procedure :
  1. take off the STM-32 from the 32bits GRBL board,
  2. connect it to the USB ST-link v.2 programmer, like explained at "Quick and easy programming method", STEP 1, point 9,
  3. open ST-link utility,
  4. press and hold down the RESET button of the STM-32,
  5. click Target>Connect in the ST-link utility, and release the RESET button of the STM-32,
  6. click Target>Erase Chip in the ST-link utility,
  7. in the bottom window of the ST-link utility, you should see the following message: "Flash memory erased."
At this point, if your STM-32 is not a fake one, you will never had to press and hold it RESET button again to program it. It will always be recognized by the ST-link utility and or Atollic True Studio.

Now you can program the STM-32 following the easy way or customized method. Be aware that I didn't updated the STM-32's firmware links yet. So, you have to download the already compiled version or the modified version (depends of the programming method you want to use) from the MakerFr's website pages. For the customized programming method, you also can download the firmware from the mstrens' GitHub page.

See ya
geostein8888

Message par geostein8888 »

Hello,
finally i got it to work. I recompiled it this time i found how to change to release mode. I do not know what went wrong before, perhaps its really while the it wos set to debug mode. And i guess the hex file from the website is weather broken or not for 115200 baud.

in all case the "??" is now away and the steppers are turning when i push the axis buttons.

so many thanks to all your tipps and Help - will see what next come in between me and the first wooden part i will make

Georg
HTheatre

[SOLVED] gerbl board seems to be broken RS-CNC32

Message par HTheatre »

geostein8888 a écrit : 13 déc. 2020 10:58 finally i got it to work.
Great !
mstrens

Message par mstrens »

It could be that the debug mode is the reason of the issue when used whit a fake STM32.
It should be good to test this with a fake and an original STM32.
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

mstrens a écrit : 07 déc. 2020 12:30 @HTeatre,

It would perhaps be helpful to add a usb/serial (FTDI) module to the list of parts to be ordered.
It is cheap and could help debugging this kind of issue without having to wait for a new delivery.
Take care that the module must be able to work with 3.3V
Hi mstrens,

I added the module to the list of parts of the manual and purchased 10 units myself for my troubleshooting service.

Now I received them, I was asking me if it was not possible to purchase this module, this one (I have this model I can test with you if you think it is necessary) or this last one, which all have a buit-in classical USB port, instead of the module you gave the link.
"Yours" have a mini-USB port and require to purchase an additional USB-A to mini-USB cable.

P.S. : I wrote to you in English because we are in the English section of the forum and by respect for our foreign members.

See ya
mstrens

Message par mstrens »

I think all of them should work for debugging purpose.

The original model (based on ftdi) is better if you want to use it to flash an arduino pro mini because the pins from usb:serial can be directly inserted into the pro mini. With the model you show, you have to make manually the links using a breadboard.
Still this is not a drawback when used for debugging the ESP32/STM32 link.
HTheatre

Message par HTheatre »

mstrens a écrit : 30 déc. 2020 09:57 I think all of them should work for debugging purpose.

The original model (based on ftdi) is better if you want to use it to flash an arduino pro mini because the pins from usb:serial can be directly inserted into the pro mini. With the model you show, you have to make manually the links using a breadboard.
Still this is not a drawback when used for debugging the ESP32/STM32 link.
Thank you mstrens, so I placed an order for ten USB A to mini-USB cables for the 10 units of the original model I already have, and I will mention to purchase this cable in the assembly manual for member who do not have one.

See ya.
Répondre