Y Axis stops working during milling

Répondre
mroberts35

Y Axis stops working during milling

Message par mroberts35 »

I'm having an issue where the y axis will just quit working during a cut. It will go just fine and about half way thru the Y axis stalls. I cancel the print and try to move the Y access with the TFT but it doesn't move. All the other axis work fine. When I turn the CNC off and then back on, the Y axis starts to work again. I get no error messages during the print. My assumption is the stepper driver is bad but I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue.
vair327

Re: Y Axis stops working during milling

Message par vair327 »

I had the same issue. One of the drivers was bad. I replaced all of them with dm556, all good after the swap. The dm556 will also make the machine so much quieter during moves.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mroberts35

Message par mroberts35 »

Thanks for the advice. I've wanting to move all of the electronics out from underneath the CNC so I guess this is as good a time as any with new drivers.
adyu

Message par adyu »

I'm having this problem as well, except the Y axis resumes after a couple seconds with some skipped steps. Are the DM556 drivers a drop in, or do they require any firmware changes?
jimbalny

Message par jimbalny »

In my testing the DM542 and DM556 stepper drivers are MUCH quieter than the TB6600's. I got all DM556's for my new CNC build.

You shouldn't have to edit the firmware but the DM series DM542 and DM556 have a different order pinout as well as different dip switch options so they're not technically a drop-in replacement. You won't be able to take the plugs from the TB6600 and plug them into the DM556 they'll need to be wired according to the new driver's pinout. Also the enable pins on DM556 as well as DM542 use reversed logic to TB6600's - pulled HIGH steppers are DISABLED pulled LOW steppers are ENABLED. So you can either leave the enable pin disconnected so your steppers are enabled all the time or GRBL has an option to invert stepper enable pin with $4=1 which will allow you to keep the enable pin connected as normal. This will change the option for all axis so if you still have some TB6600's mixed in there you're better off just leaving the enable pin disconnected for the DM556

From GRBL 1.1 wiki:

$4 - Step enable invert, boolean
By default, the stepper enable pin is high to disable and low to enable. If your setup needs the opposite, just invert the stepper enable pin by typing $4=1. Disable with $4=0. (May need a power cycle to load the change.)
collin

Message par collin »

Hello, I built an RS-CNC32, the construction and recovery went well. Unfortunately, I now have the same problem with the TB6600 drivers. First it skipped on the Y axis and after the replacement there was an error on the next X axis. I decided to replace all the drivers with the DM556. I can handle the connection, but I don't know how to set the switches on the controllers. Can you advise? Thank you for the answer. Josef
Répondre