Easel

Répondre
mptrs

Easel

Message par mptrs »

Hi,

First of thanks for the RS-CNC!! Bought the board to have the optimal build.

Now my question: Can the RS-CNC work with Easel?

Thx,

Michiel
Patient0x00

Re: Easel

Message par Patient0x00 »

Easel is designed to work with GRBL, not Repetier. But I don’t know if Repetier’s input is compatible with GRBL’s input. It is very likely.
Establishing the connection should definitely work for sure since it is the same board.

I guess more testing is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patient0x00

Just did a quick test and I couldn’t get the software to connect to the cnc. I’ve verified and check the com port but to no success.

I didn’t look at the details of easel but if you have a Gcode export capability you should be able to use easel to do your design and send it manually to the cnc.

mptrs

Message par mptrs »

Thanks for the research!

Think I read something about this and I think I tried running grbl on the R-CNC. Think I ran into the same trouble but never asked anyone out here.

It will be nice to have at least the g-code indeed. For me it's more that the easel interface is really user friendly for someone new to CNC.

Maybe some other easy program to get me started :) ?
Patient0x00

I’m a proponent of fusion360. It is pretty powerful but like many of those softwares exhibits some complexity. Good news is, there is a huge set of YouTube video covering the software.

mptrs

Message par mptrs »

Sorry about the late reply.

I'll look into that. Can you select bits? Cause that's for me something new as well and looked easy in Easel.
Patient0x00

Yes and no. Easel makes it very straightforward but with some limitation. Fusion360 is more complicated but way more powerful.

Basically, in Fusion360, you have a library of bits that you can select from. The problem is most if not all the bits in the list are industrial size bits, not for residential use like ours. So you pretty much have to start from scratch and define all your bits. This means the number of flutes, the length of the butting part, the shape to it but also the cutting feeds... This is powerful but very constraining. It takes a couple of minutes to create a new bit that you can reuse across all your designs so it's a one time investment.
One of the issue that I have is that I like to use some of my woodworking router bits and some have shapes that have non traditional CNC shapes (ball, V, flush...) and in this case, there is no way to describe the bit.
Répondre